- Collects, labels and processes patient specimens for testing.
- Maintains computerized records, resolves, and troubleshoots outstanding specimen/collections.
- Maintains the stock of commonly used supplies, performing routine inspections of supply levels to ensure their immediate availability.
- Collects used glassware and processes it through washing and drying procedures.
- Performs quality control checks on clean glassware and distributes the clean glassware to appropriate sections.
- Performs preventive maintenance on equipment. Works with manager to formulate plan for professional development.
- Attends educational in-services as appropriate. Practices universal precautions, barrier protection methods, infection control and isolation procedures when working with body fluids and other contagion to ensure a safe work environment.
- Collects and receives specimens.
Reviews test requisitions and specimen labels for accurate information and orders tests appropriately: follows up on all tests with incomplete information or questionable test orders.
- Initiates intervention on unacceptable specimens, as needed. *Processes all emergency orders (STATS within the required time frame.
- Preserves the integrity of each sample prior to distributing them to the appropriate department.
- Participates in quality improvement activities as it relates to phlebotomy, processing and transportation of samples.
- Identifies, understands, and documents issues, problems, and opportunities and escalating to supervisory when appropriate. *Performs basic clerical duties as needed. Adheres to strict hospital protocol regarding patient identification; ensures that each patient is positively identified prior to registration procedures and specimen collection.
- Collects patient blood samples by performing venipunctures as ordered and within the prescribed time-frame following strict medical protocol.
- Labels each specimen accurately according to established laboratory procedures prior to processing.
- Gives patients and outreach clients instruction as necessary regarding specimen collection.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Prefer 2 yrs phlebotomy hospital experience.
- Basic computer skills and medical terminology.
- Phlebotomy certificate preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS (Medium): 20-50 lbs; 0-33% of the work day (occasionally); 11-25 lbs, 34-66% of the workday (frequently); 01-10 lbs, 67-100% of the workday (constantly); Lifting 50 lbs max; Carrying of objects up to 25 lbs; Occasional to frequent standing & walking, Occasional sitting, Close eye work (computers, typing, reading, writing), Physical demands may vary depending on assigned work area and work tasks.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS: Factors affecting environment conditions may vary depending on the assigned work area and tasks. Environmental exposures include, but are not limited to: Blood-borne pathogen exposure Bio-hazardous waste Chemicals/gases/fumes/vapors Communicable diseases Electrical shock , Floor Surfaces, Hot/Cold Temperatures, Indoor/Outdoor conditions, Latex, Lighting, Patient care/handling injuries, Radiation , Shift work, Travel may be required. Use of personal protective equipment, including respirators, environmental conditions may vary depending on assigned work area and work tasks.